Skip to main content
Los Angeles Immigration Lawyers:
Helping US businesses compete globally
Helping immigrants achieve the American dream

F-1 Student Visa

F-1 visas are visas that allow a foreign student to pursue a full course of study in the United States.

In order to obtain F-1 visas, students must show that they have a foreign residence that they do not intend to abandon. They must also show that they have the funds necessary to fund their studies in the United States. Finally, they must show that they have been admitted to an approved schoolA school approved F-1 students is one that has been approved by USICE for participation in the SEVIS program and which can therefore issue I-20s. where they will pursue their studies full-time.

The school the F-1 student will attend, will issue an I-20 to the student, who will then use that I-20 to obtain the required F-1 visa.

F-1 students are prohibited from attending public elementary schools and publicly funded adult education schools, and generally prohibited from attending public secondary schools.

Students must generally maintain a full course of study through out their studies, and are admitted to the US for the duration of their studies plus 60 days.

Students may be eligible for “Practical Training.” Practical Training can be either “Curricular Practical Training,”“Curricular Practical Training” is alternate work/study, internships, cooperative education or any other type of required internship or practicum. which occurs during the student’s studies; or “Optional Practical Training.”

Optional Practical Training must be related to the student’s field of study and is granted for a period of one year, with some students being able to extend it. While on practical training, the student must not have more than 90 days of unemployment, but employment can be part-time.

Contact our office at (213) 622-2255, if you need assistance with your F-1 visa.