Skip to main content
Los Angeles Immigration Lawyers:
Helping US businesses compete globally
Helping immigrants achieve the American dream

I am out of status, what are my options?

If you are out of status, your options are, at best, limited. With rare exceptions, you cannot renew, extend or change your status in the US. You would need to leave the US, apply for the proper visa at the US Embassy or Consulate in your country and then reenter the US. In doing so, however, you face two serious issues.

First, if you were out of status for 180 days or more, the moment you leave the US, you will trigger either a three year or a ten year bar from returning to the US.

Second, because you overstayed during your prior entry, obtaining a visa at the US Embassy or Consulate will be a lot harder.